Wednesday 24 September 2014

Taste of Digbeth


TASTE OF DIGBETH


9 Shots' street photography- captures people emotively -usually exhausted, surprised, or isolated in some way. His images often appear slightly underexposed, making them look grayer and darker than they were in real life.

There is also a rule of thirds from the arch shapes of the tunnel yet the woman is in the center, so our eyes are put straight to her instead. However, because of the shadows of the tunnels they also stand out bold. It was taken from quite a distance judging by the big arches. Also you can constantly see lines throughout the photo. From the road, to the arches, to the stones used to build.




 
This is my photo of a tunnel around digbeth, I was inspired by 9 shots' photo because I copied the idea of arches and tunnels and my main subject was the graffitti, that was brightened to stand out more. Also I brightened the arches because I wanted brighter tunnels than 9 shots photography.

I used Ribbet.com to crop the image to focus more on the interesting part of the image. I also a vignatte effect for a more urban feel to it. In the distance you can also see a smashed window that shows that my sharpening has worked and there is a large depth of field.

I like this photo because it shows the real digbeth. When i think of digbeth i think of graffitti so that's why the graffitti is my subject in this photograph.








 Sam Stockman is a street photographer from USA, his work is undoubtedly awesome and insightful. He has taken this image of a man on the left side of the photo with a house in the background, the subject is the house because the man is blurred, he has focused more on the house with the movement of the man. There seems to be two arrows pointing in different directions on the shop and it looks like he has to make a decision. I like the shape of the house and have chosen it to use as insperation.
My photo that I have taken, shows Digbeth graffitti with a similar sign post to Sam Stockman's photo, I liked the shape-effect of the house in his photo so i copied it and thought to make it a wide-lens, rule of thirds shot instead.

The photo I edited with Ribbet.com, that allowed me to make the exposure increase, sharpen the image, soften parts, crop the important parts and made it burst with colour. The sun light came from the left side of the photo so it gave it a nice glow.  I liked this photo and wouldnt change it.




This is a photo from Beate Gütschow. She has taken this image
with an idea of emptyness of the streets. Sort of like an apocolyptic feel to it. The image is in black and white effect to it like its cold and lonely. With the background exsposed well, the building in the back appears to be the main subject.
I will use this photo for insperation when it comes to taking a photo of digbeth.

This is the first photo i took.
This isnt the finished photo but
i will use this as the basic shape.
The shape is of the arch surrounding the building and also
the main building itself. There are some patterns in the picture coming from the windows. The sky has lightened the building up and it still contrasts with the underneath of the tunnel.


This was my finished photograph. Here i have used Ribbet.com to edit
the building and rotate the building to show symmetry through the center of the image. I kept the light coming from above and made the building look more broken down using a zombie filter on the halloween effects on Ribbet. I put it in black and white and cloned some parts. I like it because it reminds me of an aztec / mexico building or maby a mental institution.



Fire on Marlborough Street [1975] 

On July 22, 1975, photograph Stanley J. Forman working for the Boston Herald American newspaper when a police scanner picked up an emergency: “Fire on Marlborough Street!” Climbed on a the fire truck, Forman shot the picture of a young woman, Diana Bryant, and a very young girl, Tiare Jones when they fell helplessly. Diana Bryant was pronounced dead at the scene. The young girl lived. Despite a heroic effort, the fireman who tried to grab them had been just seconds away from saving the lives of both. Photo coverage from the tragic event garnered Stanley Forman a Pulitzer Prize. But more important, his work paved the way for Boston and other states to mandate tougher fire safety codes.

As sad as it is, this is a good photo because the photographer was there at the right moment. Snapping the photo instantly for others to see what happend. This photo is to inform.



 I am comparing the Fire on Marlborough Street to my photo because i photographed this image of model people falling in the Custard Factory, Birmingham. The image contains a cross process filter and with natural white light coming form the celing which i toned down. The image has a sense of movement in it where the people seem to be falling. The buildings around the people also are similar to the one in the Fire on Marlborough Street. At first i wanted to make them look like they were falling from heaven, but then i was inspired by Stanley to show a similar scene. This is only the first photo i took, it was then developed further.


This was the final image i came up with. I eventually cropped one model from the image and added a back drop effect of venice. The man appears bronze because of another effect, therefore making it seem italian influenced like venice. I love this photo and i captured it with a 3D movement feel to it.







Here are some more of TASTE OF DIGBETH;

This is a photo of the architecture on the Instiute, outside wall. The shape of the subject was a long stone pole that went high up. I rotated the image, cropped the most interesting part of the image and used Aperture priority to give me a good depth of field effect. I zoomed a little to achieve this. The aperture was large at f2.8 which allowed me to get the pattern of one part of the pole then the rest blurred as it gets further away.

The colour effect i used was sepia and I also softened the already blurred depth of field. I then sharpened the overall image. The sun was out on the day so it gave it a nice bright, good exsposure.

This photograph shows good texture, shapes and patterns, good use of depth of field and aperture. I like this photo because many people don't pay attention to the detail that went into the making of the building when walking past the Institute.


 Here is my photograph of a tree, the main light source is from above, which is ironic because it uses sunlight but its in a room. The image is cropped into half bottom and half top of the photo to make the tree the center peice. The effect around the tree is blurred and blue/black filter to show shadows and darkness. I wanted to focus on the light of the tree, to show life.

My next image is of the fountain in the custard factory. Here I brightened the image, used a slow shutter speed to capture the waterfall. I wanted it a little misty but not too slow of a shutter speed, becuase i wanted some sharpness to it. I boosted the colours in the art in the back to make it seem realistic and futurist like Japan. Then black and whitened the building on the right, and the image contains a man in the bottom right of the photo. My picture here was influenced by Beate Gutshow where the scene looks bare and lifeless, yet the odd person somewhere.

I love this photo because of the effects of the overall picture, I like how it looks Imaginitive, colourful and artistic. If i was to change it I would make the sky more blue, and tone down the exsposure from the sky over the building. Also I would like to off got more of the blue building in to show more of a scene.



This photograph i wanted to focus on lines and the bizzareness of the architecture. I edited the image on Ribbet, making the photo black and white, sharper, cropping a little, and making the black walk ways more prominent. I like this photo because theres loads to look at and it's a good picture like it is a structure.









No comments:

Post a Comment